NCBC Scholarship for IBCLC Exam Candidates
The cost of taking the IBCLC exam may be a financial hardship for some candidates. The North Carolina Breastfeeding Coalition is offering four $300-$660 scholarships for IBCLC exam candidates interested in building a sustainable and supportive breastfeeding environment in North Carolina. The scholarship award may be applied to registration for the exam, transportation, meals or lodging directly related to taking the exam. Persons who will receive monies from employers for passing the exam are not eligible for the scholarship.
1. The application must include a reference from at least one NCBC member who is familiar with the candidate’s work in the lactation community or can verify that the candidate is a lactation student and has financial need.
2. The candidate must agree to live and work in NC for at least one year after certification or repay the scholarship money.
3. The candidate must demonstrate active involvement in the NC breastfeeding community. The expectation is that this will continue for one year after certification or repay the scholarship money.
4. The candidate must explain how they personally plan to promote, protect and support breastfeeding in NC as an IBCLC.
5. NOTE: One scholarship is open to all. One is for candidates of color. One is for candidates for re-certification by exam.
The deadline for scholarship applications has been extended to March 7, 2014. Applicants will be notified by email by March 14, 2014. Scholarship recipients will receive a check via physical mail using the address written on the application by March 21, 2014.
Click to download the IBCLC Exam Candidate Scholarship form. Follow the instructions listed to submit the application.