On October 8, 2014, the North Carolina Breastfeeding Coalition proudly launched the “Mother-Baby Award” for outpatient healthcare clinics. Awardees will represent the best our state has to offer in terms of support for the breastfeeding family. Members of our communities can look to NCBC’s list of awardees to know to whom they can turn for evidence-based, high-quality breastfeeding support.
The Mother-Baby Award for outpatient healthcare clinics is open to any outpatient medical clinic serving pregnant and postpartum women, infants and/or children in North Carolina. Applicants may include Health Departments, Family Medicine, Pediatric, Obstetric, Midwifery, or other types of clinics serving these populations.
Criteria for the award are very closely based on the “Baby-Friendly USA Guidelines and Evaluation Criteria,” and the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine’s “Clinical Protocol #14: Breastfeeding-Friendly Physician’s Office: Optimizing Care for Infants and Children.” As such, the act of reviewing criteria is, in and of itself, an opportunity to identify evidence-based best practices for the care of pregnant and/or postpartum women and children.
Participation is voluntary, and free of charge. There are no site visits required. Participants benefit from public recognition of mother-baby friendly care, free marketing to the public about your successes, increasing patient satisfaction, and improving support for breastfeeding initiation, duration and exclusivity.
We recommend that applicants work through their responses using the pdf “Instructions and Criteria” This will help applicants gather the information needed, learn about the criteria, and make improvements before submitting an application so that they can be successful. When you are ready to SUBMIT, please use this online application.
Applications will be reviewed and designations announced twice annually. Applications are due by February 1 and July 1 of each year.
Click here to see a sample breastfeeding policy. (Thank you to Triad OB/GYN)
- Carteret OBGYN Associates, Morehead City
- Coastal Pediatrics, Elizabeth City
- Cornerstone Pediatrics at Premiere, High Point
- Novant Health Family Medicine Residency Clinic, Cornelius
- Novant Health Midtown Obstetrics and Gynecology, Charlotte
- Novant Health Eastover Pediatrics, Charlotte
- Novant Health Triad Obstetrics and Gynecology, Winston Salem
- Outer Banks Women’s Care, Nags Head
- Orange County Health Department, Chapel Hill
- Triad Obstetrics and Gynecology, Winston Salem
- Vidant Pediatrics, Edenton
- Vidant Women’s Care, Edenton
- Vidant Women’s Care – Broad Street, Edenton
- Vidant Women’s Care, Washington
- Women’s Birth and Wellness Center, Chapel Hill
This work was funded by the CDC and United States Breastfeeding Committee, largely to support the Best Fed Beginnings project in North Carolina.
For more information on this award, please contact the committee leadership.
- Chair: Kathy Parry; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Chair: Abigail Sanders; email@example.com
- Area Coordinators
- Perinatal Region I: Brandi Nations; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Perinatal Region II: position open
- Perinatal Region III: position open
- Perinatal Region IV: position open
- Perinatal Region V: Sarah Lester; email@example.com
- Perinatal Region VI: Elaine Clark; ESClark@vidanthealth.com
- Friends of the Golden Bow
- Gina Rose
- Natalia Smith
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to become a Friend of the Golden Bow Committee today!