Celebrate World Breastfeeding Week and the US National Breastfeeding Month
World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated August 1 – August 7th each year. August is National Breastfeeding Month.
The 2017 theme is Sustaining Breastfeeding Together, and includes 4 thematic areas: Nutrition, Food Security and Poverty Reduction; Survival, Health and Wellbeing; Environment and Climate Change; and Women’s Productivity and Employment.
WE WANT TO SHOWCASE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
In addition to notifying us, please also show the world that you support breastfeeding by pledging your activity and estimated number of participants on the World Breastfeeding Week website, hosted by WABA, the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action. You can also download or order materials to help your WBW celebration on the website.
The N.C. Division of Public Health has launched a new website to help employers support National Breastfeeding Month. Visit http://www.workwellnc.com and click on the National Breastfeeding Month banner!
Alamance County –
- August 1st Breastfeeding Celebration: Support Moms to Breastfeed Anytime, Anywhere. 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm; North Park Farmers Market, 849 Sharp Road, Burlington. A Breastfeeding Peer Counselor will be available for moms to discuss any questions they may have about breastfeeding. Supported by WIC, Alamance County Health Department; Healthy Alamance and North Park Farmers Market
Buncombe County –
- August 4th-5th; LEAF – WNC Breastfeeding Coalition at Aeroflow table. Aug 4th 3pm-10pm and Aug 5th 10am-10pm; Pack Square Park, 28801
- August 5th,Big Latch On Asheville. 10am – 12pm; 40 Avon Road, 28805
- NC Parent Magazine. Look for August issue containing WBW article by Kimberly Rush
Chatham County –
- August 4th – 2pm – 4pm. Sustaining Breastfeeding Together celebration. Piedmont Health Services – 224 S 10th Avenue, Siler City. Contact: Melba Camel at (919) 742-5602
Cumberland County –
- August 3rd Group and Individual Commemorative Breastfeeding Photos
7 pm -830 pm; Slocomb Road Fayetteville NC
Sponsored by Naturally the Best Lactation Services and TSM Photography
- August 5th; Big Latch On and Community Support Fair sponsored by Breastfeeding Coalition of Cumberland County. 9:30 am-12 pm (Big Latch On at 10:30am); Cape Fear Valley Rehab Center Room A; 1638 Owen Drive Fayetteville 28304. contact: Marian Kuczero- firstname.lastname@example.org
- August 19th; The Live, Latch, Love Event. 10am – 2pm; St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Fayetteville NC; contact: Cynthia Willhite- 952-649-1008
- August 27 Black Breastfeeding Week at Wine & Design Join us as we paint a Black Breastfeeding portrait led by a local artist and discuss the hot topic of alcohol and breastfeeding. This is an adult event but baby’s that can be worn in a carrier are allowed. Location: Kings Pointe Clubhouse, 240 Sawtooth Drive, Fayetteville, NC 28314. Time: from 2:00pm to 5:00pm. Cost: $40/per person. Registration link: HTTPS://mvfbbwwineanddesign2017. eventbrite.com
- August 31 2nd Annual BBW Roundtable Discussions Location: Prima Elements, 124 Anderson Street, Fayetteville, NC 28301. Time: 6:00pm-8:00pm. Limited Space: 30 Registered Guests. Registration link: HTTPS://2ndannualbbwroundtablediscussions.eventbrite.com
Guilford County –
- August 4th, 12pm – 2:30pm WBW Extravaganza at Women’s Hospital Education Center – 801 Green Valley Rd, Greensboro. Guest speakers: Tom Johnson and Kristin Tully. Certificates of attenance will be provided for 2 hours of breastfeednig education. Registration is required: contact Elizabeth Simmons @ email@example.com or 336-870-4906. Brought to you by the Guilford County Breastfeeding Alliance (GC BrA)
Henderson County –
- Henderson County Breastfeeding Coalition Celebration. August 4th 10am-12pm; The Park at Flat Rock, 55 Highland Golf Drive, 28731
Jackson, Haywood and Surrounding Counties –
- Big Latch On. August 5th, 9am-12noon; Bridge Park, 76 Railroad Ave, Sylva 28779
Mecklenburg and Union Counties –
- Ongoing Monthly QC Cocoa B.E.A.N.S Cafes: Breastfeeding group support for women of color. Third Wednesdays and last Mondays of each month. For more information: http://qccocoabeans.weebly.com/.
- August 4 & 5 The Big Latch (9:30a – 11am) A global event for breastfeeding mothers to latch-on their babies at the same time. Mecklenburg County Location: 131 Providence Road, Charlotte, NC 28204 AND at Maternity Center, 10628 Park Road, Charlotte 28210 (Carolinas HealthCare System-Pineville). Union County Location (Aug 4): Belk Tonawanda Park 217 W. Allen Street Monroe, NC 28110. For more information: https://biglatchon.org/apps/locations.
- August 7 Express Yourself For mothers who do not latch but give their babies breast milk. A documentation of how much breast milk a mother hand expressed or pumped. This information will be sent in to the global registry for the records. For more information: https://biglatchon.org /express-yourself/.
- August 10 Lactation Insurance Billing Information for lactation and related professionals on insurance billing and benefits regarding lactation. Location: Hal Marshall Building, 700 North Tryon St., Charlotte, NC 28202. Time: 12:00pm -2:30pm. RSVP Required http://evite.me/ gGJF3yhcmR. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 17 Johnson C. Smith University Pathway 2 Lactation Program Class begins! A Queen City Cocoa B.E.A.N.S. Initiative, Metropolitan College at Johnson C. Smith University. In collaboration with Novant Health Medical Centers, Mecklenburg County Public Health and a local birthing center, Metropolitan College has developed an International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) comprehensive clinical training program in breastfeeding and human lactation to address the inequity in the lactation consultant profession. The course is an approved Pathway 2. For more information, contact: email@example.com or Rachel.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 19 Pre-Season Football & Babes Come watch the Carolina Panthers vs. Tennessee Titans on the BIG screen. Before the game, learn how your knowledge about football can encourage, promote and support breastfeeding babies. RSVP Required: http://evite.me/NEvkR5r347.
- August 25 Black Breastfeeding Week – Bet on Black Lift Up A tribute to the black national anthem to celebrate black breastfeeding a national collaboration. Location: Roamer Bearden Park, 300 S Church St, Charlotte, NC 28202. Time: 2:00pm.
- August 6th 11am – 1pm – Breastfeeding Family Friendly Communities initiative is staffing a table at the Weaver Street Market’s Jazz Brunch. They are enrolling businesses to undertake breastfeeding friendly policies for their customers, and to support their breastfeeding employees by providing adequate & appropriate space for pumping or feeding their babies. Find them on Facebook.
- August 26 Big Latch On Breastfeeding Health Fair in conjunction with the Big Latch On. Location: Richmond County Health Department, Cole Auditorium, Rockingham, NC. Time: 9:30AM-12:00PM. Location. Cole Auditorium, Rockingham NC. For more information, contact: Saquana Miller-Stevenson, email@example.com.