Celebrate World Breastfeeding Week and the US National Breastfeeding Month
World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated August 1 – August 7th each year. August is National Breastfeeding Month.
The 2016 theme is Breastfeeding: a key to sustainable development and focuses on the Sustainable Development Goals.
WE WANT TO SHOWCASE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
In addition to notifying us, please also show the world that you support breastfeeding by pledging your activity and estimated number of participants on the World Breastfeeding Week website, hosted by WABA, the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action. You can also download or order materials to help your WBW celebration on the website.
The N.C. Division of Public Health has launched a new website to help employers support National Breastfeeding Month. Visit http://www.workwellnc.com and click on the National Breastfeeding Month banner!
Buncombe County –
- Big Latch On Event Saturday Aug 6th 10am – 1pm at West Asheville Park in Asheville https://www.facebook.com/events/245687309135956/
Cumberland County –
- WBW Celebration Saturday August 6 9:30am – 11:30am at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Fayetteville https://www.facebook.com/events/233221363731005/
Jackson, Macon, and Haywood Counties are teaming up together this year to host a central location for the Big Latch On. The event will be held Saturday, August 6th at Bridge Park in Sylva. Registration opens at 9:3am and the event will run until 1PM. All questions can be directed to Brandi Nations at 828-506-7948.
Guilford County –
- Live, Love, Latch Friday August 5th at Geeksboro Coffeehouse , 2134 Lawndale Drive, Greensboro, NC https://www.facebook.com/events/1172693062793564/
- August 2nd – 12pm – 2pm – 2016 World Breastfeeding Week Extravaganza at the Mills Center, 600 N. Elm St., High Point. Panel discussions, guest speaker, free lunch, door prizes, education/support for breastfeeding.
New Hanover County –
- August 2nd 6:30 pm MILKY MAMALOGUES 2016 will take place as a fundraiser for the Tri-County Breastfeeding Coalition/LLL Education funds at the Dead Crow Comedy Club – Tickets are now on sale, go to facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/482270028644862/ or see flier for details. We had our first rehearsal on Tuesday – four new stories and some new actors will make this event better than ever! Plan to come at 6 and get a bite to eat and enjoy the show while supporting a great cause.
- August 4th 8:30am-10:30 AM Grand Rounds from Albany NY for World Breastfeeding Week. We will be watching from the Health Department as part of our regularly scheduled Coalition meeting so please join us if you can. You can also sign up to view it on your computer http://www.albany.edu/sph/cphce/bfgr.shtml
- August 6th 10:30 am THE BIG LATCH ON WILMINGTON will take place outside at Tidal Creek Food Coop – see facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1555759284726462/ or enclosed flier for details
Pitt County –
- Breastfeeding Event will be August 20th 10:00 am – 12:00 pm at the Agricultural Center in Greenville.
- The Big Latch On in Greenville will be August 6th at the Edwin W. Monroe Conference Center from 9:30 until 11:30 am.
Rowan County –
- Monday, August 1, 2016 Breastfeeding Support Article-Salisbury Post,
- Monday, August 1, 2016 Flowers to new mothers at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center
- Monday, August 1, 2016 Breastfeeding Session with Peer Counselors-Rowan County Health Department
- Tuesday, August 2, 2016 Breastfeeding Friends Happy Hour and Class-Novant Health Rowan Medical Center
- Tuesday, August 2-Friday, August 5 Special Goody Bags for New Mothers-Novant Health Rowan Medical Center
- Wednesday, August Radio Show highlighting Breastfeeding Information & in Support of World Breastfeeding Week
Union County –
- Union County WIC breastfeeding staff will be hosting a Global Big Latch On event to celebrate World Breastfeeding Week on Friday, August 5th. The event is hosted annually and is a great way for our community to come together to celebrate, encourage, and support breastfeeding moms while helping to normalize this beautiful gift of love. I have shared the official event page below as well as the Facebook Event page: